Simply Me...

My photo
Learning through life how to take one day at a time & enjoy myself! I am a mother of two precious gifts, wife to a guy that I love unconditionally and a sister, daughter & friend. I work as a licensed massage therapist in the Birmingham area. I LOVE what I do! I love to blog as much as I can & read back on our memories as a family of four! www.youngliving.org/nancylmt

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Salmon Patties!

This is funny to me! 
My husband is a TRUE Southern boy at heart. 
He wanted me to make some salmon (I pronounce Sa-mon being from Michigan, he pronounces SaL-mon being from the South) patties. I know my Mom used crackers, a little lemon, milk, egg & salmon when frying. I looked up a Southern Salmon Patty recipe & here is how it went....

1 (14 3/4 ounce) canned salmon
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup flour
1 egg
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
Directions:

1
Open salmon and drain thoroughly. Place drained salmon in mixing bowl and flake evenly with a fork.
2
Add onion, corn meal, flour, mayonnaise, and egg. Stir until well blended.
3
Shape the mixture into patties about the size of an average burger or less.
4
Cook in oil in skillet over medium heat until browned on each side. Turn once while frying.
5
Note: The mayonnaise helps the patties hold their shape and keeps them from being too dry.


His ideal southern salmon patty meal would include homemade mashed potatoes, pintos, cornbread, coleslaw, and the salmon patty. I am trying to include lots of good nutrients in our meals & I wanted him to have some good fats. So I chose different side items. 

Now. When you open the can. It makes you want to dump it out in the garbage.
Here is what you see.... 
Um. GROSS. Bones, vertebrae, skin, just YUCK.
I started to give up & then I remembered how I love him. I called my Mom. She said "NANCY LEE! Your Mamaw & Gamaw just picked through the bones & skin & got all the "meat" out & then prepared them!" As if to say, "SUCK IT UP GIRL, PICK THROUGH IT!!!"
So that is what I did. It turned into this....

Kind of "tuna-salady" looking.
Then this....

To my surprise, he liked them! I had a hard time since I had picked through everything, but he & Logan ate them! 
God love him! I fixed him tomato & avocado salad then roasted brussel sprouts & broccoli with it! Not pintos, cornbread, cole slaw, mashed potatoes! But he ate it! I love him for it!
Sometimes we want to knock each other out, sometimes we argue, sometimes I want to drop kick him, but I love him so much! I'm sure he feels the same about his loving wife of almost 15 years!  I will try cooking anything for that man! Most of all, because I know he will try it, but because I know he loves me too, or else he wouldn't have eaten avocado!
Here was Kenlee's plate!
She was a trooper, too! She ate a whole avocado & some soup, nut medley & some carrots. 
Biggy had soup, salmon, an orange cut up. It was kind of a hodge podge meal, but hey. They ate it.
Bet they wish we had this....
But I did fix this for dessert....

3 comments:

Faith said...

I pronounce salmon the same way as you are :)

I laughed out loud to the drop kick comment! So funny!!

Such a good wifey pulling all that stuff out of the salmon! I would be closing my eyes doing it, lol.

Paula said...

Okay, Nancy.... I'm with your hubs on this~ I'm a true Southern gal because I say SAL-MAN! *hahaha* You would so make fun of the way I talk!!
They look delicious, by the way!

Nancy said...

Ha! Love u both, Paula & Faith!