Simply Me...

My photo
Learning through life how to take one day at a time & enjoy myself! I am a mother of two precious gifts, wife to a guy that I love unconditionally and a sister, daughter & friend. I work as a licensed massage therapist in the Birmingham area. I LOVE what I do! I love to blog as much as I can & read back on our memories as a family of four! www.youngliving.org/nancylmt

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Silly Black Dog


The only animal that I've had that has died was Murphy Brown, we had him for probably 15 years. He was a shephard mix & a part of our family. I've not really been able to put words together for a post, but this past week our bloodhound, Max, passed away. He died of gastric torsion & we found him one afternoon in the back yard curled up ~ it was such a shock because he was only 6 1/2 ~ but as we've done research & talked to several people that have had bloodhounds, this kills 35% of the breed & their lifespan is usually just 8 years old. Our emotions come & go & it seems the afternoons & evenings are the saddest times for us. Last year we had adopted a mix breed "Barkley" that was the perfect match for Max ~ they were such good buddies. It just makes us so sad to not see his big lanky body running around, Josh & Logan not loving on him every night like they did, and I just can't imagine our lives without him in it. He's a great boy - as wild as he was, just gave us unconditional love & always loved his hips rubbed or a good wrestle from his friend, Barkley. I wish we could have him here with us as long as we live :)
So now we are a family with one dog, wishing we had two again ~ but our plan isn't ours...and we are giving Barkley lots of TLC & making sure he knows we will fill the void of not having his buddy, Max, around. When we move, we'll get another one, I'm sure.
So Maxwell Bleu Hudspeth - we love you & always will...wishing you were here with us, "Mackey Boy" as Kenlee called you. As a gift to Logan to remember his silly black dog, I'm having his teacher paint a picture of them together for him as a surprise. Logan has been so brave & sweet about all of this...I'm just thankful for all of the memories.

3 comments:

The Paganellis said...

So sorry to hear about Max. I had no idea. Hayes loved him so much too. I'm sorry for your loss. I know how much dogs can be a part of the family.

Nancy said...

Thanks, Whitney! Our hearts are hurting & we're trying to keep Barkley happy ~ this has been NO fun at all :(

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm so sad for you guys!! I could not imagine how you feel. :(